Custom software development is the development of software applications tailored to meet the needs of a business. That development process including everything from designing and building to deploying and maintaining software that’s meant for a specific set of users, a set of business functions or organizations.
Unlike commercial off-the-shelf software (COTS)—which often targets a broader set of requirements to be commercially marketed and distributed to a wider reach—custom applications aim at a narrowed set of requirements that serve the specific needs of a business.
Why do we need custom application development?
Custom application development helps meet requirements at a competitive cost. Some of the benefits of custom application development include:
- Lower integration costs
Effective custom software development
To be successful in building custom application applications, collaboration is key. You should be able to collaborate with business users on requirements, share knowledge amongst teams and work together with development and operations teams. Effective custom software application development can be summarized as:
- Providing support for—or automate—business processes and transactions
- Handling information and data specific to an industry or line of business
- Adhering to the unique privacy or security requirements
- Integrating with legacy applications and data
- Adapting to changing requirements
Additionally, requirements should be correct, complete, clear, consistent, traceable, verifiable, design independent and feasible.
Trends and innovations in Software Development
Software development has undergone a sea of change in the last few decades, and they will only continue to evolve. The main areas of software development innovation to watch out for in the future include:
- Mobile software development: The demand for mobile apps will continue to grow. Both Android and iOS apps have been in demand and this trend will continue in the years to come.
- Wearable apps: These days, apps are no longer limited to mobile, and have begun branching out to new devices like smartwatches. Connected app development has been growing and will continue to sharply increase in prominence. As these new devices link to mobile phone, tablets, and computers, the demand for interconnectivity will see exponential growth.
- Artificial intelligence (AI): AI is a key driver of digital transformation, and for enterprises, adopting AI has become a necessity. The demand for AI specialists who are capable of developing AI software will continue to grow over time.
- Internet of things (IoT): The IoT is the biggest thing to happen to technology since the .com boom. It’s an emerging technology that has technical, social and economic significance, providing a seamless, all-encompassing and ubiquitous network of devices that create a connected, smarter world around each of us. It’s been growing exponentially and promises to integrate big data, cloud, billions of devices and the network fabric.
Cisco estimates that by 2020, more than 50 billion devices will be connected by IoT. There’s no denying that it’s revolutionizing the way we communicate and work, and it’s ushered in the next wave of intelligent, connected devices. The adoption and popularity of IoT has been growing exponentially, but we’re just at the tip of the iceberg—the real future of IoT is yet to come.
- Big data: The growth of big data has been phenomenal over the past few years, and it will continue its growth in the years to come. Processing big data and performing data analytics has been paramount to enterprises. In recent years, the hype of big data has gone from dream to reality. Data agility is vital to enterprises and the ability to analyze massive amounts of data has been priceless. Big data platforms have grown faster primarily due to the IoT boom, and with more and more connected devices, Big Data will get “cloudier” over time.
The development methodologies to look out for in the years to come include: Agile, DevOps, Rapid Application Development (RAD) and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). With well-defined requirements at hand, you should be able to apply mature, modern development methodologies and practices to build effective software applications efficiently and rapidly.
Staying at the forefront
Conforming your workflow to rigid software won’t give you a competitive advantage in a constantly evolving, fast-paced marketplace. INNOVA’s certified developers stay at the forefront of technology to build clients a roadmap into the future.
Our unique 360-degree approach to requirements discovery allows us to immerse ourselves in your business to understand your processes, develop an app that’s specific to your needs, and provide comprehensive onboarding with your team to ensure a smooth transition every time.
Interested in transforming your business with forward motion? Contact our team to get started!